City of Fort Smith Spotlight of the Month is..
River Valley Ovarian Cancer Alliance
River Valley Ovarian Cancer Alliance is a wonderful organization that is focusing on raising awareness and promoting education about ovarian cancer. The alliance is dedicated to providing support for ovarian cancer patients and their families in Fort Smith, the River Valley and surrounding areas.
Their goal of the River Valley Ovarian Cancer Alliance is to give back to the River Valley area through informative programs, awareness and assistance to those ladies and their families fighting ovarian cancer. By providing many forms of awareness and education, they hope to help ladies recognize the signs and symptoms that can lead to early diagnosis. This is all done through awesome volunteers and inspiring survivors in our community.
Ovarian Cancer Statistics:
• A woman’s lifetime risk of developing invasive ovarian cancer is 1 in 75.
• It is estimated that in 2017, about 22,280 new cases of ovarian cancer will be diagnosed in the United States.
• It is estimated that in 2017, that 14,240 women will die of ovarian cancer in the United States.
• Mortality rates for ovarian cancer have declined only slightly in the forty years since the “War on Cancer” was declared. However, other cancers have shown a much greater reduction in mortality, due to the availability of early detection tests and improved treatments.
• Ovarian Cancer is the 8th most common cancer among women.
• Ovarian Cancer is the 5th leading cause of cancer-related death among women accounting for more deaths than any other cancer of the female reproductive system, and is the deadliest of gynecologic cancers.
Remember that “Early Diagnosis Leads to a Better Prognosis.” Let’s all help RVOCA spread the word on this dreadful disease. Know the signs and symptoms: fatigue, abdominal/pelvic pain, bloating, back pain, frequent urination, feeling full quickly, weight loss or gain. It’s also important to know your risk factors: genetic predisposition, age, family history of breast, ovarian or colon cancer.
For more information please contact RiverValleyOCA.com.
You can help make a difference – I did! - Wendy Mathis