Historic District Commission
Maggie Rice, Senior Planner
The commission is authorized to make an investigation and report on the historic significance of the buildings, structures, features, sites or surroundings included in any proposed historic district. The commission is also authorized to recommend an area or areas to be included in a historic district or districts and from time to time recommend amendments to established districts or additional districts.
Fort Smith has been designated a Certified Local Government (CLG) by the United States Department of Interior. One of the benefits of being a CLG is to be eligible for various grant funds each year. CLG’s are required to attempt to appoint preservation related professionals to their Historic District Commissions, to the extent available in the community.
The commission has five members, who are electors of the city, appointed by the Mayor subject to confirmation by the Board of Directors and each serves alternate three-year terms. Members shall be electors of the City and hold no salaried or municipal office. Regular meetings are the first Thursday of each month at 6:00 p.m. at the Darby Community Center. The study sessions are held the last Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m., at the Darby Community Center, 220 North 7 Street.
- Historic District Commission - 2016 Meeting Minutes
- Historic District Commission - 2015 Meeting Minutes
- Historic District Commission - 2014 Meeting Minutes
- Historic District Commission - 2013 Meeting Minutes
- Historic District Commission - 2012 Meeting Minutes
- Historic District Commission - 2011 Meeting Minutes
- Historic District Commission - 2010 Meeting Minutes
- Historic District Commission - Previous Years Meeting Minutes
Members (5) Term: 3 Years Meetings: Monthly
715 North 21St St.
Fort Smith, AR
Manager, Usa Truck
1219 Elizabeth Lane
Fort Smith, AR 72903
2717 Roxbury Lane
Fort Smith, AR 72908
901 South 26 Street
Fort Smith, AR
523 North 5 Street
Fort Smith, AR 72901