Unified Development Ordinance
The Unified Development Ordinance is enacted to promote the orderly growth and expansion of Fort Smith, Arkansas (City). These regulations provide for the orderly development of subdivisions, expansion of infrastructure and public services, and divide the city into several zoning districts. Within these zoning districts, the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO or “these regulations”) prescribes the character, area, bulk, location and use of buildings and land. These regulations are designed to achieve the following objectives:
- To stabilize and conserve property values.
- To protect streets, schools and utilities from overloading by limiting population density.
- To provide locations for each land use which are properly related to traffic, utilities and other land uses.
- To seperate conflicting types of traffic by requiring the proper relation of land uses.
- To reduce or eliminate congestion by providing adequate light, air and open space.
- To improve quality of life and aesthetics by providing adequate light, air and open space.
These regulations are justifiable only insofar as they promote the health, safety, convenience, or general welfare of the community as a whole.
For more information please visit our Unified Development Ordinance File Section.